Dr. Allen C. Jones
Allen C. Jones teaches as Visiting Assistant Professor of English at the University of Puget Sound. As a creative writer, a digital humanist, and a scholar, he takes an interdisciplinary approach to literature. His digital work centers on interactive 3D visualizations ("games") that encourage users to experience (play and create) alternative and "non-linear" readings of a text. His creative work appears in Ekleksographia, Fiction Southeast , The Louisiana Review, The Bitter Oleander, The Texas Review, GSU Review, Third Wednesday, Zillah, The American Journal of Nursing, and various other journals and anthologies. He is always already finishing a grandiose project that he sometimes calls a novel and sometimes much less polite names.
Recent Events: Oct. 2015: DT Game is up! PLAY NOW!
The Dylan Thomas Game 2D Version is finally up and running. Click either to play (different formats):
1. Play online: DT2DGame (use this one)
Warning: This version does not score or give you directions. It is simply a game board. You must actually read the directions below!
1. Press okay for the Dylan Thomas puzzle/game (or enter your own once you have become an expert).
2. On the right will be the line list for the game. On the left the game board.
3. Drag lines from the list to the board. Grab ends to size or middle to rotate.
4. Goal: each line must touch another line that shares a content word (content word = not "and," "the," etc.). First line can go anywhere.
5. 1-Player Puzzle: fit all the lines to the board and you win. This will take rearranging as you go.
6. 2-person Game: Each player takes a turn placing a line. Winner is the last to place a line. Lines may not be moved once played.
Note: 2-Person Variant: A player may move a line one time as a move. This line cannot be moved again for two turns.
Recent Events: August 2015: Modernist Timeline is Up!
Recent Events: November 2014
I conducted a writing workshop with the full-immersion fourth graders at Rosa Parks Elementary in Berkeley, California. Students learned about guided free writing and surrealist techniques including the Exquisite Corpse. Notice that one of these excellent students shows her investment in surrealist practice by putting on her best Desnos trance look.
Recent Events: Open Mic Takes Off
The Coffee House Series at University of Puget Sound kicks off the event season with an open mic featuring Laura Krughoff. Read the article. Recent events also include a literary trivia night.
Recent Events: Summer 2013: The Dylan Thomas Machine
Presenting the demo video of the DT Machine at the University of Arkansas on their six screen integrated presentation monitor at the Digital Humanities Summer Research Institute. I am presently working with programmer Billy Rathje on developing a prototype for this interactive poetry analysis game.